1 1/4 c. soft butter
- Mix together all (except the food coloring).
- Divide the dough into 6 equally sized balls, plus enough dough to make two or three plain cookies.
- Make a well in each ball of dough. Place 1/4 teaspoon (or slightly more depending on the color) of gel food coloring (skip pink and black) into each piece of dough.
- Wearing gloves, knead each piece of dough to work the color in. It doesn’t have to be perfect, but try for well-blended. (Can split each color into two balls after this point, depending on how thin/thick you want each color to be.)
- Either use a silicon 9″ by 4″ loaf pan or line a 9″x4″ loaf pan that can go into the freezer with a large piece of plastic wrap that hangs over the edges of the pan.
- Starting with one of the red balls, flatten out the dough to the size of the pan with your hands and place it on the bottom.
- Take the next color (orange) and roll the ball into a cylinder the length of the loaf pan, then place it in the middle and smooth it out to the edges.
- Do the same thing for each remaining color. (If you split your dough in half, then begin with the red again so you end up with two layers of rainbow dough.)
- Wrap the dough in the plastic wrap (place the uncolored dough in plastic on top) and freeze it for 1 hour. You can make this dough ahead of time and freeze for up to 3 months.
- When you are ready to make the cookies, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove the dough from the freezer and set it on the counter to warm up slightly, 5 minutes or more depending on how solid it is. (You can hack off part of the loaf and save the rest for later, if you wish.)
- With a sharp knife, slice the rainbow dough into thin slices. The slices don’t have to be perfect but you don’t want them to be too thick.
- You can use the slices, or carve them into hearts, or use cookie cutters.
- If your colors separate a bit, press down on the dough with your hands to bring the dough together.
- Place cookies on a cookie sheet, along with a non-colored cookie of the same size (to tell when it’s done.)
- Bake each sheet of cookies for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden brown on the bottom. (This is very hard to tell on the rainbow cookies.)